What a year! I didn’t reach all of my reading goals this year, but I’ve certainly enjoyed the journey. I’ve read some great books (and some stinkers!), challenged myself, and found some amazing stories just outside my comfort zone.
Check out the final tallies for 2012.
First, the basics
- Books read in 2012: 79 (14 since 9/1)
- Pages read: 27,698 (4,083 since 9/1)
- Books reviewed: 60 (8 since 9/1)
- Books not enjoyed: 11 (1 since 9/1)
- Books not finished: 3 (0 since 9/1)
- Library books: 31 (5 since 9/1)
- Re-reads: 14 (3 since 9/1)
- Fiction: 63
- Non-fiction: 19
- Young adult: 19
- Period novel: 16
- History: 4
- Horror: 2
- Fantasy: 18
- Mystery/thriller: 13
- Humor: 7
- Classic: 3
- Gender/sexuality: 3
- Short story/essay: 2
- Paranormal/supernatural: 9
- Biography: 2
- Religion/Spirituality: 5
- Play: 1
- Graphic novel: 2
- Memoir: 4
- Pay it Sideways Challenge: 9/12
- Back to the Classics Challenge: 7/9
- Read the same amount of non-fiction as I did Young Adult novels. Victory!
- So close on both challenges! A combination of book buying embargo and a less-than-amazingly-stocked local library means that I fell short of my challenge goals this year. Bummer.
- I enjoyed splitting this year’s Non-fiction November into books and documentaries. I’ve always enjoyed the latter, and I’m glad to have found a way to incorporate more of them into my life.
- Did a lot more re-reading this year than last. I blame a hectic work schedule that drained a lot of my energy for taking in anything new.
- Used the library even more this year than last. My bookshelves and wallet breathed a sigh of relief!
- January 10, 2013 marks the beginning of my fourth year of blogging. Woohoo!
- I’m working on compiling my list of reads for 2013. Surprise, surprise, it’s heavy on the fiction.
- Planning to dive into Reading Outside the Box and Mount TBR reading challenges in 2013. More on those in the new year.
How did your 2012 reading turn out? What are you most looking forward to in the new year?
6 thoughts on “2012 State of the Blog and Wrap-Up”
I’m so impressed that you read so many non fiction books. Way to go!
Thanks, Jenny! Non-fiction has never been my forte, but I’m learning to like it more these days. Here’s to even more non-fiction reading next year!
Well… my recreational reading goals were an abysmal failure. But I took 18 hours in the spring semester, and 19 in the fall and only got one B – all the rest As – so I was reading! I have a big TBR stack that I want to work on this year… that’s my 2013 goal. They’re all in the basket next to my bed – hopefully this time next year they will be gone!
College does have a nasty way of getting in the way of all that reading, doesn’t it? 🙂 Hooray for TBR stack! We can compare notes throughout the year.
Way to go, Amy! My wrap up post isn’t nearly as detailed as yours; I’m impressed that you took the time to complete such an interesting analysis of your reading this year.
Thanks so much for participating in the Pay It Sideways challenge this year too!
Here’s hoping that 2013 will bring you joy and abundance and peace and many great books.
Thank you, Laurie! It actually doesn’t take that much time, especially if I compile stats as I go through the year. It would be fairly easy to create a spreadsheet that automatically calculates everything for me, but I’m too lazy to figure it out. 🙂
Thanks for hosting the reading challenge! I don’t think I’ll be able to participate next year, but I’ll be keeping a close eye on everyone’s progress. It was a great way to experience some new books and bloggers.
Happy New Year, and looking forward to chatting more in 2013!