Saturday Snapshot: Soup

This week’s picture depicts absolute deliciousness and brings back happy memories.

Potato soup

Fantastic, right? It tasted even better than it looked. I’ve always loved a good, hearty soup. It’s filling, nutritious, and warms you right up on cold days.

But I especially love this soup because I enjoyed it with my Best Friend. We’ve both been really busy lately, and haven’t sat down to eat dinner together in over a month. I also haven’t “cooked” anything but microwave dinners lately.

Looking at this photo reminds me of the night I made this soup, when Best Friend and I sat down to eat it while watching “Dr. Who” (which we’re now obsessed with, by the way). I’m glad that summer’s here and he’s done with school for awhile; I miss hanging out with him. And I miss potato soup, too.

33 Responses

1. Paulita May 5, 2012 / 1:27 pm

The soup looks much better than my potato soup. It’s too hot already for soups here. Here’s Mine

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:18 pm

Yea, it’s definitely too hot here now too. I think I took this photo sometime in February, maybe March. Still a feasible time for soup. :)

2. Kay May 5, 2012 / 2:16 pm

It does look yummy, although like Paulita location, a little hot here in Central Texas for soups. But…a winter soup – I’m so there. LOL

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:19 pm

I totally agree. I suppose I should have mentioned that I took this photo several months ago, when eating soup wouldn’t cause heat stroke. :) I’m in south central Texas — right now the only thing I was is cold fruit and salad!

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:21 pm

Snow?! That’s crazy! It doesn’t even get down even to freezing until January around here. I’m jealous. :)

3. Harvee May 5, 2012 / 2:46 pm

Nothing like a good hearty soup for cool weather. Sharing your recipe?

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:24 pm

It’s actually a ready-to-make kit kind of thing from HEB (a grocery chain in Texas). It comes with most of what you need already — you just add some milk and butter for thickening and away you go. Takes 20-30 minutes, and was surprisingly delicious.

4. trish May 5, 2012 / 2:59 pm

Oh man . . . that looks like the best kind of comfort food! Yum :)

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:25 pm

It was really good. Even more so because I was enjoying it with a cute boy. ;)

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:26 pm

It was 95 degrees here earlier today, so soup is definitely out for me too. Is it winter yet? :(

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:32 pm

I’m not able to comment on your blog, Melissa, but I love your picture today! Your girl is adorable, and I love her little shorts!

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:27 pm

It was a lot of fun! I think we were still on the 10th Doctor at that point. I love me some David Tennant.

5. Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous May 5, 2012 / 4:08 pm

Mmm, looks delicious! And tasty soup with Doctor Who sounds wonderful. Actually, anything with Doctor Who sounds wonderful. :) I’m fairly obsessed too!

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:28 pm

Yay, a fellow Whovian! Who’s your favorite Doctor?

6. Alyce May 5, 2012 / 4:53 pm

Potato soup and Doctor Who – awesome combination! Have you watched all of the past six seasons yet? When my husband and I discovered the show it was like date night every night while we caught up on the episodes.

• amypeveto May 5, 2012 / 6:30 pm

We just finished season 6 a couple days ago. It took some time to warm up to the 11th Doctor, but now I like him just as much as the 10th (for different reasons).

Gotta love date nights. :)

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 11:21 am

It was very tasty, indeed. And much too hot here for soup now. :)

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 11:23 am

It was. I wish it stayed cooler here year round so I could eat it more often.

7. Susan May 5, 2012 / 10:39 pm

I daresay that a meager plate of cheese and crackers, when eaten with a best friend, would be the most satisfying thing. The fact that you had delicious potato soup to share made things the best of the best … great reflection in this post!

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 11:41 am

You hit the nail on head, Susan. :) Anything is more fun when you do it with someone for whom you care.

I’m not able to comment on your blog, but I think you had a great reflection on your post as well. Babies are a blessing, and worth the wait.

8. Louise May 5, 2012 / 11:22 pm

I love soup. Sadly in Australia we’re just sliding into winter, I’m planning a pea soup this afternoon. My husband and son are totally obsessed by Dr Who, so I get to see quite a bit of that too.

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 11:42 am

I forget that Australia is on a schedule opposite from us. Does it get really cold there? I grew up in a desert that got surprisingly chilly during winter/at night.

More Whovians! Tell them they’re awesome!

9. Leslie May 6, 2012 / 1:44 am

Potato soup is one of my favorites. And unlike most people, I will eat soup year-round. I could watch Doctor Who anytime too. With or without the soup!

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 11:44 am

I want to eat soup year round, but it gets up into the 100s June-August, and eating hot soup is a recipe for heat stroke. People tend to eat a lot of cold things and lay around in their underwear underneath fans, moaning about how hot it is. :)

10. Cathy May 6, 2012 / 3:02 pm

Good food is always best when shared with good friends!

• amypeveto May 6, 2012 / 3:46 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Cathy! I’m not able to comment on your blog, but I think your photo is great. I love the colors and shadows.

11. Cipriano May 7, 2012 / 11:06 pm

That looks totally TOTALLY delish!
    Geez, I was on my way to bed and now you’ve made me hungry!

• amypeveto May 8, 2012 / 9:48 pm

It was delicious! If you’ve got an HEB or similar kind of grocery store nearby, they might have something similar. I found it in the produce section in one of the refrigerated sections that usually line the walls.

Sweet dreams!