(Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish. Want to make your own list? Clicking the image will take you to this week’s post. Happy listing!)
Nothing beats a good “WTF?!” moment in literature. This week we’re paying tribute to the book endings that left our jaws on the floor.
1. The Scarlet Pimpernel (Baroness Emmuska Orczy) – Chauvelin never saw it coming.
2. Dragonfly in Amber (Diana Gabaldon) – Yay, there could be a happy ending after all!
3. The Host (Stephanie Meyer) – Not the biggest twist of all time, but certainly an interesting one. Two, actually, if you count how Wanderer is able to stay.
4. Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier) – I saw the 1940 film before I read the book, and the twist was definitely shocking — every time.
5. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card) – Not my favorite book by any stretch of the imagination, but the twist was pretty ridiculous.
6. Odd Thomas (Dean Koontz) – A sad twist, but a twist nonetheless.
What were some book endings that left you gaping?