Teaser Tuesdays: Fear

Teaser TuesdayTeaser Tuesdays is a weekly event hosted by Should Be Reading. The rules are simple:

• Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page (as well as the book’s title and author)
  • Be careful not to include spoilers

I’ve finally, finally picked up Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s The Shadow of the Wind! I’m a little over a quarter of the way in, and I’m getting seriously spooked.

I looked again at the portrait of that couple and knew for sure that the young man was Julián Carax, smiling at me from the past, unable to see the flames that were closing in on him.

I think at this point I’ve been introduced to the bulk of the main characters, and a vague idea of a plot is forming, but I gotta admit that I’m still mostly lost. I’m certainly enjoying the journey so far, though!

What am I in for here? Clue me in in the comments!

10 Responses

1. Jenny May 15, 2012 / 3:12 pm

Yet another book I’ve been meaning to get too. One of these days.

• amypeveto May 15, 2012 / 8:43 pm

It’s good so far. It still feels like the author is building up toward the main plot; right now I’m still at the laying foundation part. Hoping it pulls me all the way in.

• amypeveto May 16, 2012 / 7:16 pm

Yea, it’s definitely a slower-paced book. At this point I’m more than halfway through and am still putting pieces together. I’m really enjoying it, though.

2. Heather L May 16, 2012 / 10:03 am

Am not familiar with this author, but hope you enjoy the rest of the book. Thanks for visiting!

• amypeveto May 16, 2012 / 7:17 pm

Thanks for dropping by, Heather! I didn’t hear of Zafon until sometime last year, and have had The Shadow of the Wind on my TBR since that time. It’s an intriguing book.

3. amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 12:00 am

Never heard of Lee Nichols, but her books look interesting and kind of fun. :)

• amypeveto February 5, 2013 / 10:06 pm

It ended up being a really good book, Michelle. Very dense writing, but beautifully done. It’s even got some magical/paranormal aspects to it.