Saturday Snapshot: Fresh Food

One of my favorite things about spending time in Europe was the food — specifically the fresh fruits and veggies you could get in any of the open markets.

These photos were taken at the market just off Wenceslas Square in Prague, Czech Republic.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro

Tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro.

Cherries

Cherries (my favorite!)

Strawberries

Strawberries. These smelled incredibly delicious.

Carrots, lettuce

Carrots, lettuce, green onions, and some sort of root vegetable. Any idea what the white bulbs are?

Speaking of delicious food, it’s lunchtime!

22 comments

1. Leslie says:

One of the many things I love about summer, it’s so much easier to find a farmer’s market and fresh food. Those strawberries look like they are going to jump right off the screen… yum.

• amypeveto says:

There’s a farmer’s market in my hometown, but it’s only open sporadically. I need to make a better effort to shop there. The strawberries—and everything else I ate there—were delicious; I wish they’d jump off the screen right now so I could eat more of them. :)

• amypeveto says:

I thought turnip too, but I’ve never seen turnips that big (or I’m misremembering). The produce smelled and tasted as good as it looked. :)

2. trish says:

Those all look so delicious! I love a good farmer’s market. Prague sounds amazing! It’s one of the places I’d love to go one day.

• amypeveto says:

I need to start visiting the farmer’s market we have in my town — it’d be a nice way to incorporate more vegetables, and I love going local.

I could talk about Prague all day and night. It’s my favorite vacation.

• amypeveto says:

I’m hoping to head out to my town’s farmers market the next time it’s open. There’s always room for more fruits and veggies!

• amypeveto says:

It does kind of look like celeriac, but celeriac seems more knobby — these look lighter and less bumpy. The world may never know. :)

3. Sim@chapter1-take1 says:

Beautiful! We were lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Prague (Praha, right?) a dozen years ago. What a spectacular place! I remember that market, those crazy streets in the town center where it seems impossible NOT to get lost!
    We loved the towers, the funicula, the bridge, the castle. EVERYTHING!

• amypeveto says:

Yes, Praha! It’s a beautiful, fun city. Lots of places to wander around and enjoy. Did you visit the cathedral in the castle? That south tower is quite a climb!