Saturday Snapshot: Fresh Food

One of my favorite things about spending time in Europe was the food — specifically the fresh fruits and veggies you could get in any of the open markets.

These photos were taken at the market just off Wenceslas Square in Prague, Czech Republic.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro

Tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro.

Cherries

Cherries (my favorite!)

Strawberries

Strawberries. These smelled incredibly delicious.

Carrots, lettuce

Carrots, lettuce, green onions, and some sort of root vegetable. Any idea what the white bulbs are?

Speaking of delicious food, it’s lunchtime!

22 Responses

1. Leslie July 28, 2012 / 1:43 pm

One of the many things I love about summer, it’s so much easier to find a farmer’s market and fresh food. Those strawberries look like they are going to jump right off the screen… yum.

• amypeveto July 28, 2012 / 2:04 pm

There’s a farmer’s market in my hometown, but it’s only open sporadically. I need to make a better effort to shop there. The strawberries—and everything else I ate there—were delicious; I wish they’d jump off the screen right now so I could eat more of them. :)

2. Christine Harding July 28, 2012 / 1:52 pm

They could be some kind of turnip, but I’m not sure if the leaf is right. Or celeriac, but that’s usually very knobbly. and dirtier looking… but produce does look very tasty. My Snapshot is at http://goo.gl/5WXI0

• amypeveto July 28, 2012 / 2:05 pm

I thought turnip too, but I’ve never seen turnips that big (or I’m misremembering). The produce smelled and tasted as good as it looked. :)

3. Eva July 28, 2012 / 3:01 pm

Great shots. Everything looks so tempting.

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:19 pm

It was all very tempting. Especially the dozens of jars of candy that were on sale too. :)

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:20 pm

The colors were one of my favorite aspects. Doesn’t everything seem brighter on vacation?

4. trish July 28, 2012 / 6:25 pm

Those all look so delicious! I love a good farmer’s market. Prague sounds amazing! It’s one of the places I’d love to go one day.

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:21 pm

I need to start visiting the farmer’s market we have in my town — it’d be a nice way to incorporate more vegetables, and I love going local.

I could talk about Prague all day and night. It’s my favorite vacation.

5. Kailana July 28, 2012 / 7:49 pm

They all look good enough to eat! :)

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:22 pm

They were. And we ate a lot of it. :)

6. Laurie Kazmierczak July 28, 2012 / 8:36 pm

Oh Happy Summer♫♪ Fresh food from the farmers market, doesn’t get any better!

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:23 pm

I’m hoping to head out to my town’s farmers market the next time it’s open. There’s always room for more fruits and veggies!

7. Louise July 29, 2012 / 7:33 am

Such a lovely market. I thought celeriac too for the root vegetable, but the leaves look a bit wrong for that.

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:26 pm

It does kind of look like celeriac, but celeriac seems more knobby — these look lighter and less bumpy. The world may never know. :)

8. Meaghan July 29, 2012 / 9:28 am

Wow! That food looks amazing! You were right it did make me hungry, especially those strawberries!

• amypeveto July 29, 2012 / 2:38 pm

We were there during the middle of summer, so there were strawberries aplenty. They were delicious.

9. Sim@chapter1-take1 July 29, 2012 / 6:41 pm

Beautiful! We were lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Prague (Praha, right?) a dozen years ago. What a spectacular place! I remember that market, those crazy streets in the town center where it seems impossible NOT to get lost!
    We loved the towers, the funicula, the bridge, the castle. EVERYTHING!

• amypeveto July 30, 2012 / 11:42 pm

Yes, Praha! It’s a beautiful, fun city. Lots of places to wander around and enjoy. Did you visit the cathedral in the castle? That south tower is quite a climb!

10. Alyce July 31, 2012 / 10:02 am

Everything there looks terrific! I love how shiny the cherries are – those would be hard to pass up!

• amypeveto July 31, 2012 / 9:39 pm

I’m pretty sure I can see my reflection in the cherries. :) And yes, they were hard to pass up.