Saturday Snapshot: Beach

Teaser Tuesday(Saturday Snapshot is brought to you by At Home With Books. Join us!)

Back in August 2010 Best Friend and I took a road trip to Folly Beach, South Carolina to spend a week with friends. We all rented a place right on the beach, and it was lovely.

Folly Beach
I never enjoyed the beach much as a kid, and I still really don’t: it’s hot, sand gets everywhere, the water is salty and full of various lethal swimming creatures, etc.

But I count the week I spent at Folly Beach as one of the best of my life; not just because I was with Best Friend, but also because I was with a big group of funny people, and we played games and went swimming and sat on the porch and watched shooting stars. I loved the sun room in particular:

Folly Beach
We also took a day trip into nearby Charleston to check out some open markets and visit the South Carolina Aquarium and its 385,000 gallon salt water tank.

It was a great trip, and I’d love to go back someday.

25 Responses

1. Kaye May 19, 2012 / 1:24 pm

Glad you had such a good time. Lovely sunroom

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:03 pm

Thank you, Kaye! The sunroom was perfect, nice and cool after the heat of the beach.

2. Nise' May 19, 2012 / 1:37 pm

Looks like a great place to visit. I love the beach!

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:06 pm

As I can see from your blog title! I can’t comment over there, but those bird eggs are gorgeous! They kind of look like Robins eggs, but I can’t tell.

As for the one egg that looks different, one of the other Saturday Snapshot participants mentioned the Cowbird, which leaves its eggs in other birds’ nest, where they’re raised by the mama bird. Maybe that’s what’s happened to your nest!

3. Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous May 19, 2012 / 2:33 pm

I’m not a big beach person either, but I think I’d like it better if I could step right off the porch onto it (and back onto the porch when I’ve had enough sand!) Sounds like a wonderful trip.

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:08 pm

Agreed completely, Cheryl. There was also a shower underneath the house (it’s on stilts, like most beach houses) that you could use to get most of the sand off you before you went back inside.

4. Eva @View from the Hillside May 19, 2012 / 3:16 pm

I love the sea, and swimming in it, but would rather avoid the sandy beaches because of all the sand that gets everywhere. :-)

That sunroom looks absolutely lovely, I want one like that.

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:13 pm

Sand is awful, isn’t it? I learned a trick awhile back, though: once you’re dried off and back at your car (or back on your porch), dust yourself all over with baby powder; it sucks up all the moisture and the sand dries out and falls off you. Handiest trick ever! :)

5. Eugenia May 19, 2012 / 3:39 pm

I love the beach but not after five o’clock which is when the sandflies come out and life takes a hellish turn! That aquarium is awesome.

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:20 pm

I didn’t notice many bugs; maybe they aren’t that plentiful in South Carolina? The aquarium was indeed awesome; a great way to see the local wildlife without having to swim among them!

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:21 pm

I’m not able to comment on your blog, bu that lily is gorgeous! When I think of lilies I think of the white ones, nothing so lively and bright as the one in your yard. Luck you to have that!

6. Alyce May 19, 2012 / 4:57 pm

That looks like the perfect vacation setting!

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:22 pm

It was pretty perfect! The air was really heavy and salty, though, so the sheets on our bed always felt kind of damp, which was icky, but other than that, it was wonderful.

7. Bev@My Reader's Block May 19, 2012 / 7:34 pm

Love the sun room! And…that picture of the aquarium is downright awesome. What a spectacular view.

Here’s my Snapshot

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:24 pm

It was a great view. It was cool to sit there and watch all the animals swim by; lots of sharks and a couple sting rays and one enormous sea turtle. Plus a bunch of colorful smaller fish. It was a surprisingly relaxing experience, considering that the only thing keeping back 385,000 gallons of water was some glass. :)

8. Susan May 19, 2012 / 7:40 pm

I loved Charleston, too! I walked all over the historic district and down along the strand with all the beautiful homes along the harbor, went on the boat out to Fort Sumter, and through all the markets where the women sold the sweetgrass baskets … it was one of the most romantic cities that I’ve ever visited … so beautiful!

Bet your vacation brings back awesome memories! The beach house looks perfect for a fun crowd!

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:29 pm

The city felt a lot like New Orleans, especially because of the French-influenced architecture on the buildings and homes. The open markets were nice too; it was just cool enough that walking around wasn’t too taxing, and I loved seeing all the homemade crafts and items.

The beach house was definitely the perfect place for us. There were plenty of bedrooms and common areas to play games and watch movies, a big porch, and right up close to the beach. The town was in walking distance (with great restaurants). I’d never rented a beach house before, but it was a great experience, and definitely better than a hotel!

9. Harvee May 19, 2012 / 7:57 pm

An amazing salt water aquarium. If you go to the shallow waters of the Caribbean you might change your mind about the beaches, as many of them are protected by reefs that most keeps the big dangerous fish away from near shore.

• amypeveto May 19, 2012 / 10:33 pm

There was much more to look at besides the big tank, although it was certainly a main attraction.

I’d love to visit the Caribbean sometime. I grew up about an hour away from a beach, and we visited often when I was kid; but it was an area known for jellyfish and Man O’ Wars, so swimming was often “at your own risk.” o.O

It’s nice to know that reefs can act as a kind of blockade against the scarier beasties.

10. Leslie May 20, 2012 / 1:21 am

I love the beach and the sound of the water. I’m not crazy about the sand but I can overlook that part.

• amypeveto May 20, 2012 / 12:18 pm

The sound of the water is very soothing and lovely. It’s a way to balance out the annoyingness of the sand. :)

11. Louise May 21, 2012 / 4:50 am

How wonderful to stay that close to the beach. It looks great.

• amypeveto May 21, 2012 / 10:11 pm

It was very lovely, and well worth the drive and expense. :)

• amypeveto May 28, 2012 / 5:18 pm

It inspired me to sit there and read all day. Does that count? :)