Saturday Snapshot: Visitin’

Last weekend I headed back to my hometown to help my mom celebrate her birthday (for those nosy individuals, she turned “21,” as she does every year). Aside from lots of television watching, home cooking, and snark, there are three things I always enjoy about returning to the town in which I grew up:

1. Small-town signage

Federal prison, stadium

2. Pretty birthday cake! My mom’s boyfriend always comes up with the perfect ideas for the cake. This year it was the Hepburn Little Black Dress.

Cake

3. Dogs who dislike obstacles Toby, my mom’s “miniature golden retriever,” likes to sit right on your lap. So do laptops. Toby does not like laptops.

Toby

Happy Saturday!

21 Responses

1. trish July 21, 2012 / 6:42 pm

Haha the signage! And that cake, I hope it’s as delicious as it is cute

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:33 pm

That sign may be my favorite one I’ve ever seen. It perfectly captures small town Texas life. White cake isn’t my favorite, but this one was good — the bakery that makes it is very good at what they do.

2. Kailana July 21, 2012 / 8:01 pm

That signage is too great! Small town is right. :) And that cake is wonderful!

Plus, I love the dog.

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:33 pm

Thanks, Kailana!

3. Lisa July 21, 2012 / 9:22 pm

Better be sure you turn the right direction! And what a fun cake — looks tasty.

My Snapshot

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:35 pm

Yes, Lisa, I’d much prefer going to the stadium! :)

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:37 pm

My mom loved it. Her boyfriend always get the best ideas.

4. Christine Harding July 22, 2012 / 4:58 am

The cake is beautiful. And the dog is lovely but he looks a bit sad and bewildered”

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:39 pm

And it tasted good, too. The cake, not the dog. :) Poor Toby is a very long-suffering puppy. He wants to be very close to everyone all the time, and I was preventing him from doing so.

5. Louise July 22, 2012 / 9:35 am

Great shots. Toby is gorgeous, so is that cake.

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:42 pm

Toby’s as friendly as he is gorgeous. He just really likes to be near whomever is sitting on the sofa. :)

I can’t comment on your blog, but I love your photos from this week! Specialty museums, especially those in Europe where the history is much longer, are always so much fun. I went to lots when I was in Prague.

6. Liz July 22, 2012 / 3:25 pm

I love the sign! It reminds of the deranged signage popping up in London at the moment in advance of the Olympics.

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:43 pm

Oh dear, I bet the place is a zoo — Olympics start this week or next, don’t they? Traffic must be horrific. Stay safe!

7. Alyce July 22, 2012 / 4:22 pm

Great signage! :) The cake is lovely and so creative!

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 9:43 pm

It’s quintessential small town signs like that that make the drive to and from more bearable. :)

8. Wrighty July 22, 2012 / 10:56 pm

The sign is a riot! I live in a small town and I can vouch for our quirkiness. The cake looks beautiful and quite delicious too! Happy birthday to your mom. I’m sure having you home was her best gift. :)

Toby is a handsome fella. We have a golden retriever and they are great dogs. Hope you had a fun visit!

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 11:04 pm

That was exactly what my mom said about having me home — apparently that’s a universal feeling amongst mothers. :)

Toby is indeed very handsome, and he knows it. My mom spoils him rotten.

• amypeveto July 22, 2012 / 11:07 pm

I’m not able to comment on your blog, so I’ll leave my thoughts here for you:

Yikes on those ER visits! Having a house full of boys must certainly keep your blood pressure up. Glad to hear it all turned out fine. I don’t suppose telling them to be more careful would help?

9. Leslie July 23, 2012 / 8:53 pm

Those were great! All three of them.

• amypeveto July 23, 2012 / 10:09 pm

Thanks, Leslie! Happy Monday. :)